Wednesday 2 September 2015

The hair story : part 1


I had promised a little Q&A session about my hair and what I do to keep it alive.
 
 
 
 
 
 
How long have you been natural?

I have been on this specific natural hair journey since mid 2012. I have cut my hair once since then.









Is it difficult to maintain your hair?

Natural hair differs from person to person. I find that my hair has moments of being a pain some days it's total bliss. I always say that my relationship with my hair ( side bar: yes I see it as a relationship) is one of love and hate.  I have fantasized about cutting it many times. 









 
 
 
 
 
 
Can I touch your hair?

Eish!!! This always depends on my mood and how long it took me to fluff it up and also if it was playing along. But, at the end of the day I'm not too anal about people touching it as long as they are gentle with it. 









 


 
 
 
 
 
 
What products do you use?

I swear by Coconut oil. It is a constant in my hair regiment and my hair really takes well to it. I use the CedeVirgin Coconut oil form Dischem or the Natural store.




 



 
 


 


 
1) I use it as a pre wash treatment. This is when I heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and massage it into my scalp and hair (root to tip coverage). I then put a shower cap on and keep it for 15min before washing it off. 

2) I use it as a moisturiser. This is when I actually take small amounts of coconut oil and apply it as coconut oil especially after applying heat to my hair. 

3) During protective styling, I use coconut oil to base my hair and also to aid hair growth. Everyday I make sure I massage a bit of coconut oil to my scalp and especially paying attention to the hairline.  


 



 

I have 2 main shampoos that I use:

1) Aunt Jackie shampoo.  I love the smell of this shampoo and also love how soft it leaves my hair. It really makes it more manageable. I get mine from Jabula hair store. 

2) Jamaican mango & lime, tingle shampoo. I love this shampoo because I have a problem with dandruff and it really helps me with that. I also prefer to use it after I take out a protective style. It really gives a good clean without being too harsh. 

You should be washing your hair at least 1s a week even thou I don't always do it this way. 






What other products do you use for your hair ?

I also love using Dr Miracle for Damaged hair after a protective style. Sometimes I just want to treat my hair to a deep treatment and it really leaves my hair feeling good. 

I also use Aunt Jackie's Curl La La ( defining Curl Custard) it makes my hair soft, manageable and also maintains my curls. I use this before I twist my hair and also after I take out twists or plats just to get my curls that much more defined. 
You can buy it at Jabula hair stores.
 


Hairline problems during protective styles: 

I either use Coconut oil on my hairline or I use T444z. 

T444Z also helped a lot with the thickening of my hair and also getting some lost hair length back during a Cornrow style that really was brutal to my hair. So I really suggest that you guys invest in a tub and your hair will really love you for it. Jabula also stocks this. 

To protect your hairline make sure that your weaves and braids are never too tight. 
 

Last tips:

Going to bed with twists or plats and a headscarf is always a good idea. This will prevent shrinkage and give you a good curly style in the morning. 


Next post: this will be about protective styles and the importance of of them. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...