Monday 29 April 2013

National Youth Leaders Network



  "The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect.
It means understanding that each individual is unique,

and recognizing our individual differences.  These can be along

the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs,

political beliefs, or other ideologies.  It is the exploration

of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment.

It is about understanding each other and moving beyond

simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the

rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual."
So this time last week I was nervous beyonds to be attending the conference. This was on the basis that i didn't know a single soul that was going to be in attendance ( well I don't count the guy I work with). I was going to have to spend a whole week with these people and the idea was a bit too much for me.It was going to be a challenge and i was up for it 

On arrival I was greeted by a warm inviting smile of Sonia and she made me start to relax. Then when the group started assembling I was easing into the people and starting to act crazy. 



On the first day ( ok day two, no need to get technical) we were made to feel like 11 year olds again. The guys and girls from Umthombo Wesizwe facilitated a simple yet powerful section on Who Am I: its aim was on creating an awareness of own identity. 2- Who are they: its aim was creating cultural awareness – Identity of “Others”. 3- Who are we: its aim developing a super-ordinate culture with multiple layered identity.


 We also had a facilitator from the Quaker peace centre. This was a thought provoking section which made us think.It addressed issues of diversity and how we interact with people in and around the circles we move in.The debates were deep and we picked up the "Catch and Release" slogan. this is used when you think something racist, you choose to either catch or release it. harbouring angry hurtful thoughts wont help anyone. 
 



If you know me I love taking pictures and views are my love. This is what I woke up to every morning and I seriously felt like a kid in a candy store. Mornings even became something I looked forward to.













 The gang really knows how to have fun. Crazy bunch of people. What I loved about us that we are all passionate about the work we do in our communities. We believe that what little we do can and will bring about a difference. A place were race, gender, sexuality and class is not the dividing factor.

We all gangster, like a golfer who is hes own caddy... lol



Exciting things to come. I am really excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...